Oct 30, 2023

“There was a radiance about Him [‘Abdu’l-Baha], an almost unlimited kindness and love that shone from Him.” – recalled by a fourteen-year-old youth

A few days later, a villa was rented for the Master and His family, not far from the Hotel Victoria, [in Ramleh, Egypt, 1911] in a lovely residential section that lay right next to the beautiful Mediterranean and the beaches. Like all the villas in that area, it had a garden with blossoms and flowering shrubs. It was there that ‘Abdu’l-Bahá chose to receive His guests – a great variety of notables, public figures, clerics, aristocrats, writers as well as poor and despairing people. I went there often, sometimes on the way home from school, sometimes on weekends. When I was not in school I spent most of my time in His garden. I would wait to catch a glimpse of Him as He came out for His customary walk, or conversed with pilgrims from faraway places. To hear His vibrant and melodious voice ringing in the open air, to see Him, somehow exhilarated me and gave me hope. Quite often, He came to me and smiled and talked. There was a radiance about Him, an almost unlimited kindness and love that shone from Him. Seeing Him, I was infused with a feeling of goodness. I felt humble and, at the same time, exceedingly happy. 

- Aziz Yazdi  (When he was about fourteen years old, ‘Memories of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’, published in the online version of ‘The Baha’i World’; The Baha’i World Center)